6.16.2004

Skinny Puppy

Speaking of people who don't know when they're being stereotypical, last night I was walking to a theater to watch my boss in an improv show. On my way, I passed a venue where there was a concert about to start. At least, I assume it was about to start because there was a large crowd of people milling around outside. Maybe the opening band was so bad that people just preferred to be outside, but I doubt it. The reason I doubt it was that the headliner was SKINNY PUPPY, legendary gothic rock band. And the kind of people who go to see Skinny Puppy are not the kind of people who mill around because the opener is bad. Even if listening to the opener is like torture, they would stay because THEY ENJOY TORTURE!

So there was a disproportionate number of goth kids hanging around. Everywhere you look, there's mesh and eyelashes and leather and buckles and metal studs and fishnet stockings and everything is BLACK AS THE NIGHT OF YOUR DEATH. It was pretty creepy. This story doesn't really have an ending. I just saw a bunch of goth kids and they made me laugh because, for a bunch of non-conformists, they all looked the same to me.

Only I didn't tell them that. Because then they would all conform to the idea of beating the crap out of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chalk it up to another lesson learned while living in the big city.......... Your Mom